Saturday, May 25, 2019

Minutes, May 21, 2019

Minutes, May 21, 2019

--Natalie Weston (via telephone)
--Bob Fellenstein
--Virginia Winn
--John Wetzel
--Dianne Britton
--Fred Drusekis
--Marguerite Frongillo

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

The treasurer gave a brief report on available funds.

Various people provided their thoughts on the last two dances, which were both at our new venue at the Quaker meeting hall.
Attendance is low, but the dancers who attended the last dance seemed to enjoy themselves.  The working capacity of the hall seems to be about 46 to 48 dancers, allowing 40 to dance at most at one time.
We can cover the costs of most dances with that many dancers, but not our yearly costs, and not "big name/expensive" bands and such.

Dianne Cahill sent us an email indicating that she has determined she cannot continue to serve on the board, but she is happy to help us out when she can.

There was some discussion of using Survey Monkey to reach out to our dancers and get feedback.  Natalie agreed to look into the Survey Monkey issue, including possible downsides, such as this service possibly requesting that survey respondents identify themselves using (for example) their facebook ID, and then demanding access to friend lists and things of that sort in order to respond to the survey.

We discussed the fact that apparently no one has updated the list of email recipients in a while.  Virginia will try to find copies of the handwritten lists of people wanting to join our email lists.  These were photographed, and may even exist as paper copies with the names crossed out once they were photographed.  Virginia will also check with Victor to see if he has any of those photographs of email lists.  We will then be able to include those new email recipients on our newsletters and such.

We agreed that Natalie would take over the maintaining of the email list (ie. trying to keep the email list of dancers up to date) and that Fred would maintain and update the website with things such as the current pricing scheme, which was incorrect as of the time of the last dance.

We discussed how to proceed with booking, which required us to first look at our upcoming schedule in light of recent events and issues (venue change being prime).
We decided not to have a dance in July, and to have one in August, with a pot luck included in that one.
We decided that booking could proceed for next season on that basis, with some reservation about the December date, which is far too close to Christmas.

Natalie reported on her research on the metrics of our mailchimp outreach.  Those metrics looked pretty good.
Natalie and Connie agreed to be responsible for sending out reminder/newsletter emails.

We discussed continuing our efforts to find a better venue.  This included the idea that we need to maintain a list of places we have "checked out".  We also agreed that this is best done by use of a spreadsheet, and that Fred should be the one to set up and maintain the spreadsheet.  Presumably this spreadsheet would be available for viewing by all (and possibly for editing by anyone investigating veneus?), in order to prevent different board members from investigating venues that have already been checked on and rejected (or are already in process of evaluation).  The spreadsheet allows us to have columns for accept/reject, as well as things like parking, bathrooms, ambience etc.

We did not discuss the need for recruiting new board members, other than to welcome a new one at this meeting.  Welcome, Bob Fellenstein!

We voted in the slate of officer candidates as developed during the last meeting, as follows:
President:  John Wetzel
Vice Presidient/Booking agent: Marguerite Frongillo
Secretary:  Fred Druseikis
Treasurer: Virginia Winn

We also voted in the following members-at-large:
Jonathan Janzen
Bob Fellenstein
Connie Robinette
Natalie Weston
Cayce Thompson
Dianne Britton
Kenny Greer
Victor Gascon  (Victor has resigned, but we are hoping he will agree to rejoin us as a member at large if and when he is able and willing)

The next meeting will be on July 16, 2019

The meeting was adjourned.

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Minutes, April 16, 2019

Minutes, April 16, 2019

--Victor Gascon
--Virginia Winn
--John Wetzel
--Dianne Britton
--Fred Drusekis
--Marguerite Frongillo

The minutes of the previous meeting was approved.

The treasurer gave a brief report on available funds.

We discussed booking related issues, specifically when booking for next season should begin.  We voted to delay booking at least until one dance had occurred at the new venue, as our experience there (will this even work?) should influence that decision.
No one has visited the "ballroom on Broad river road" yet.  However, if this is the "Esmerelda" ballroom, which it probably is, this is unsuitable, per comments by John Wetzel who has been there.
Ebenezer lutheran might be workable, we have danced there before, but is costly.

Liability insurance was discussed at length.  Result:
1. CDSS affiliated insurance covers only the group not the officers.
2. Therefore, it does not address our primary concern of protecting board members individually from being sued.
3. Therefore, we voted to purchase that insurance only if required to do so by a venue, and the treasurer is empowered to do so immediately if such conditions come to pass.
4. The issue of finding insurance (or convincing ourselves via research that this is not needed) to protect individual board members remains on the table.  Fred suggested that we begin by contacting CDSS to find out if there is any documented history of suits against dance group board members.

Accounts receivable: Jonathan still owes some money to group for speakers.

Victor spoke with many organizers from around the USA at the bug stomp.  The problems we are having are the same everywhere, and we are actually in fairly good shape compared to many groups.  Meaning we are not doing something wrong.

Victor will forge ahead on the name tags issue.

Victor announced that he is resigning as President (and from the board also) effective immediately.  

The slate of officers to be voted on at the next meeting is:
PRESIDENT: John Wetzel
VICE PRESIDENT: Marguerite Frongillo
SECRETARY: Fred Drusekis
TREASURER: Virginia Winn

The next meetng will be on the 21st of May

The meeting was adjourned,

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Minutes, March 19, 2019

Minutes, March 19, 2019
--Victor Gascon
--Connie Robinette
--Virginia Winn
--John Wetzel
--Dianne Britton
--Fred Drusekis
--Marguerite Frongillo
--Natalie Weston
--Dianne Cahill
The minutes of the previous meetings, as well as all normal buisness, was tabled/suspended because we needed to deal with urgent venue issues.
The treasurer gave a quick report on available funds.
There was considerable discussion of the following:
1.  We should go to the JCC because it is big, but it is expensive.
2. We should go to the Quaker hall because it is affordable, but it is small.
A motion was made to finish out the dance season at the JCC.  The motion was voted down.
A motion was made to finish out the dance season at the Quaker hall.  The motion was approved.
A motion was made and approved that Connie contact Soda City about venue possibilities.
A motion was made and approved that the Board will look into obtaining liability insurance from or thru CDSS.
Once these basic decisions had been made, it was informally agreed that we also needed to look at other venues in the meantime, and that individual persons would volunteer to look at particular venues (or do other related tasks) so that things would actually get done.
To that end, the following persons agreed to perform the following actions:
Dianne C agreed to go and look at EBENEZER
Natalie agreed to check out REDEEMER LUTHERAN
Victor agreed to check on the ELITE BALLROOM
Marguerite agreed to check on EASTMINSTER
Connie will put out the word for a hall on SODA CITY
John will send out an email describing the "required minimum" info each person who visits a venue should provide to the board via email.  This is to avoid dribbling out info about a venue over many emails.
Virginia will contact CDSS about liability Insurance to cover COTMD

The next meeting will be on April 16, 2019.
The meeting was adjourned,

Minutes, March 19, 2019

Minutes, March 19, 2019

--Victor Gascon
--Connie Robinette
--Virginia Winn
--John Wetzel
--Dianne Britton
--Fred Drusekis
--Marguerite Frongillo
--Natalie Weston
--Dianne Cahill

The minutes of the previous meetings, as well as all normal buisness, was tabled/suspended because we needed to deal with urgent venue issues.

The treasurer gave a quick report on available funds.

There was considerable discussion of the following:
1.  We should go to the JCC because it is big, but it is expensive.
2. We should go to the Quaker hall because it is affordable, but it is small.

A motion was made to finish out the dance season at the JCC.  The motion was voted down.
A motion was made to finish out the dance season at the Quaker hall.  The motion was approved.

A motion was made and approved that Connie contact Soda City about venue possibilities.

A motion was made and approved that the Board will look into obtaining liability insurance from or thru CDSS.

Once these basic decisions had been made, it was informally agreed that we also needed to look at other venues in the meantime, and that individual persons would volunteer to look at particular venues (or do other related tasks) so that things would actually get done.
To that end, the following persons agreed to perform the following actions:

Dianne C agreed to go and look at EBENEZER
Natalie agreed to check out REDEEMER LUTHERAN
Victor agreed to check on the ELITE BALLROOM
Marguerite agreed to check on EASTMINSTER
Connie will put out the word for a hall on SODA CITY
John will send out an email describing the "required minimum" info each person who visits a venue should provide to the board via email.  This is to avoid dribbling out info about a venue over many emails.
Virginia will contact CDSS about liability Insurance to cover COTMD

The next meeting will be on April 16, 2019.

The meeting was adjourned,

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Minutes, January 15, 2019

Minutes, January 15, 2019

Victor Gascon
Virginia Winn
John Wetzel
Dianne Britton
Fred Drusekis
Jonathan Janzen
Marguerite Frongillo
Cayce Thompson

The minutes of the previous TWO meetings were individually reviewed and approved.   
(NOTE:  For the record, there was no meeting in November of 2018.)

The treasurers report (including a new iteration of tracking spreadsheet) was provided, discussed and approved.
There were no reimbursements requested.
"Reports from the last dance":  There was discussion of the problem of a dirty or sooty (carbon black??) deposit on the floor.  Victor will discuss or mention this to Jim.

Mailing out of emailed notices/news is behind, and will be sent out before the next dance.

The booking report mainly consisted of the fact that there is still no band for the March dance, and details or possible solutions thereof.
A local old time string band is an upcoming possibility.

OLD BUISNESS was tabled for this meeting, as there was nothing new to discuss, EXCEPT FOR the "additional board members" category.
In that category, Mr. Cayce Hunter Thompson offered to serve on our board, and was officially voted in as a board member.

Virginia and Victor are still working on Paypal and Patreon accounts, as a way of accepting donations, should such become available.

CHANGES to dance fees.  The board had an extensive discussion of our steady losses, and formally agreed to the following "fixes".
A.  Beginning with the March 2019 dance, the charge per person will go from $8 to $10 per person.
B.  Dancers will be warned of this at the February dance.
C.  Door staff will be allowed, totally at their discretion, to charge "family groups" a flat fee of $30 per group.  This means that door staff  has the right to charge $10 per person if they are unsure that they are seeing an actual "family", or do not have time to make the determination.  Door staff actions and decisions on this are final in each case.  A family group would typically be a pair of parents and
one to three children.  Family groups are limited to TWO generations (parents & children or adult children).

We discussed that we are having the next (Feb.) dance in the "front room" of Blue Moon ballroom, and that this is just an experiment.  Notices about this are to be sent out via email and other channels, and a sign will be posted on the back door where we have been entering.

We agreed to make a final decision about doing a techno dance in March, if a band for March has not been finalized by some date certain.  That decision (and the date certain in question) will be the day after the February dance.  If a techno is to happen, J Janzen will be the caller and Victor will act as "DJ".

The next meeting will be on March 19, 2019.

The meeting was adjourned,